Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katrina1_gw

H, syriacus 'Satin Blue'

katrina1
17 years ago

Once they grow to maturity, will the shallow root systems, which a row of this Blue Satan Rose of Sharon develops cause damage to a driveway; if I plant them just over two feet away along the driveway's edge?

If it makes any difference, I do plan on planting them 4 feet apart and training them into small tree forms instead of shrubs. Then beneath them or maybe as a boarder along the driveway edge, I want to plant some varied groupings of dwarf nandina or some other short broadleaf evergreen shrub.

Comments (2)

• katrina1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry to get the name wrong in the first posting.

It is supposed to be the Hybiscus Syriacus 'Blue Satin'

That is more commonly called a Rose of Sharon 'Blue Satin'

Does this corrected information help. Hopefully someone will respond who has enough information to give the right advice to the original question.

• chrsvic
    17 years ago

I'm not an expert, but since nobody's responded yet, i thought i would offer the opinion they wouldn't hurt your driveway. In fact, if they get too big, you can just cut them back early in the spring, they bloom on current years' wood.

However, if you have room to plant them further away, I'd vote for that. Alot of people think Rose of Sharons look better if you let them grow naturally.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?