Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dominest

Hibiscus braid identification

dominest
9 years ago

Greetings. I recently purchased this Hibiscus braid locally, but unfortunately it didn't list the variety & I'm just not sure if I should keep it in a pot & bring it indoors for the winter, or whether I can plant it in the ground for it to come back the following spring. Some online sources seem to suggest that this is a hardy variety (opposed to the tropical) as it has heart-shaped leaves. However, other hardy Hibiscus plants & shrubs which I see growing locally, either have extremely large flowers or have a different color flower. I also understand that there are hundreds of varieties & many hybrids, so identification might be difficult. in any case, I'm grateful for any help you can offer. Thanks.

Comments (2)

• Gutzmek
    9 years ago

Dominest,

This is a tropical variety and judging by the bloom color it is Brilliant or President. Tropicals will not survive frost or freezing temperatures.

Hope this helps.
    Ed

• merkity
    9 years ago

certainly looks tropical too me. i can't tell from the photo how red that flower is looks kinda pinkish to me. But Ed's right - that is not going to be a happy camper in cold weather. mine have to stay outside in winter and they basically stop growing as it gets colder. but i don't have freezing temps either. Any colder and i would have to greenhouse them.

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer