Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gynot

Planting Help Needed

gynot
9 years ago

Sometimes I do things that seem to make sense, but are actually bad for a plant, like tomatoes in large black plastic containers up against a nice sun reflected block wall. I've made all kinds of mistakes that now I feel I have to ask before I make another, so please forgive me.

I have a couple of yellow Tropical Hibiscus, not hardy, that are doing okay. As long as I snip off the old flowers I get new ones about every two days, but one looks a bit scrawny as far as leaves, plenty of branches, just low on leaves. I've used Foliage Pro to no avail. What else could I try?

I'm also about to plant another, this time red and want it to do as good as my other yellow. First off the soil here is basically sandy garbage in my book. It always has to be amended to make anything grow and then it's still always a fight to keep it growing. The spot I've chosen for this hibiscus is next to a wall that gets sun just after mid-day. I thought if this fills out it would help cover the wall as well as add color at this bland part of my back yard. I've had the plant, still in it's black pot, in the spot for about a month and it seems to like it there as it's stayed dark green with nice big red flowers on it. When transferred to the ground should I expect the same? Mid-Summer SoCal heat? How should I amend the soil, if you can call it that, for best success? Any other advice?

Rather than list everything that I own as far as food, fertilizers, etc., I've included an image of my supplies list that I keep on hand.

Lastly, I have a product called Ultrasol k Plus, it's NPK is 13.7 - 0- 46.3. Since Hibiscus have such a great need for potassium, would this be okay to use?

Thanks for any help

Comments (2)

• gynot
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the 2nd part.

• User
    9 years ago

Gynot,
    Since the hibiscus is tropical that you are planting, and you don't live in a tropical climate, why don't you just buy bigger pots for them (they don't have to be expensive, plastic will do), and dig a hole, and place the bottom of the pot in the ground where you say it is happy?
    You can place some composted manure in the hole if you want, that way when the roots grow out the bottom of the pot by the end of the summer, you can just cut them off with sissors and store the plant in the house or greenhouse for the winter.
    If you don't want to save it anyway, and you want to leave it outside over the winter, still use a pot. easier to discard of it after it dies anyway.
    Use a pot, you can control the soil better knowing it is receiving optimal growing conditions.
    You have to water it more, and use Foliage Pro diluted big time every time you water. That way you will be replenishing the nutrients to the plant every time you water, because you will be flusing alot out watering it so much.
    Bad soil, is alot of amending, alot of work, and your results are not immediate.
    That is why people use pots and raised beds in areas with bad soil. The plants love great soil.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County