Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hibiscus with whitefly

Posted by northerner_on z4 ONCanada (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 07 at 16:39

A few months ago I posted a problem here which was diagnosed as white fly and I was given instructions for taking care of it. Since I live in Ontario I was not able to get the exact insecticide, but I did get an oil-based one which I have used repeatedly with no results. This infection has since travelled to my tomato seedlings, several of which I had to discard and I am now at the point of tossing the hibiscus (a beautiful double red). Before I do this and since summer is near my question is, will the white fly be taken care of when I move the plant outside? If yes, then I will wait awhile and put it out. Question 2: is the white fly something that came in with the plant last fall? I did repot with potting soil before bringing it in. I would rather lose this one, than have it infect my other house plants. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hibiscus with whitefly

Northerner,
Don't throw your baby out!
Check out link below.
You can get rid of the whitefly.
If the temps are getting warmer where you are, try gradually exposing your plant to the outside soon.
You may have to apply several times and check to see that your other plants don't have it to reinfect your hibiscus.
Good Luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Tips on Hibiscus Care

o
RE: Hibiscus with whitefly

Thanks for the info. Butterfly4u. I guess I was having a really bad day and it would have been a pity if I had tossed it - it's such a beauty when in full bloom. I will persevere and try the Murphy's Oil Soap as well. We've had a cold spell here for the last few days, but usually by this weekend everyone's planting out. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here