Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to collect seeds?

Posted by kawaii_fruit 9-TX Gulf Coast (My Page) on
Tue, May 27, 08 at 16:57

How do I collect seeds from a hibiscus plant? My aunt has a couple flowering right now, and she said I could get seeds if I could figure out how to get them. Not sure about cuttings...

Shae

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to collect seeds?

Just pick the pods when they are dry before they open. Hardy hibiscus usually have a pod for each bloom they put on. Usually plenty of seeds to get many plants going next year.

o

Thanks! I looked for seedpods this morning, and either they were all brown and open, or they were green and open. I did find a partially full seedpod for a red hibiscus that had a couple of seeds in it ready to go, but the pink one just keeps opening up at the green stage with nothing inside. Could that be a PVP thing? It can't reproduce by seed? I'[m not sure what variety it is, but it's medium pink with the dark pink shading inside (I know, that really cuts down the possibilities, LOL) The red one she's had for probably 15-20 years, the pink one, about 5.

Shae

o

hello
i love my mallow hibiscus and would love to figure out when to collect seeds to start more and to share. does anyone have any pictures of the stages or seeds that would help me identify when to collect them. i see pics of the pods but when mine looked like that i didnt seem to see any seeds inside, it was a bit fleshy, what size are the seeds?
i have been searching for info and pics all over the internet. please help!
thanks
thia in south carolina

o

Seeds are about the size of BBs and brown. I'll try to find some I collected last year and make a pic and post.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here