Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmonceaux_gw

Red Texas Star Hibiscus

kmonceaux
15 years ago

This is my Red Texas Star Hibiscus that is now blooming!! I have the white one also so waiting for it to also bloom.

Comments (5)

• abacoian
    15 years ago

very nice. Did you grow them from seeds? I have 10 that I started from seed about two weeks ago and they are looking great. I try to always keep the soil moist. Can these young plants get too much water?

Any tips appreciated.

Thank you,
    Ian

• kmonceaux
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, this was grown from seed. It is at least 5 feet tall right now (2 years old). I have the white one also and when I give it too much water the lower leaves will turn yellow, so I guess they can get too much water. Just so the soil is "moist" they will do fine.

• touchofsunshn
    13 years ago

I bought a Star Hibiscus last year and planted it in my butterfly garden. I had beautiful red blooms all summer. This year when it started reappearing I was so excited. When it started to get so tall I staked it, but all it is doing is growing straight up and about 5' tall. How so I get it to spread out some or what do I do.

• susaninnorthga
    13 years ago

I am new to these also, someone sent me some seeds. I looked up some information and found this:
    Once it gets about two feet tall, cut it back to about a foot tall to keep it more compact. If you want it to be long and tall, do not cut it back.

Read more: How to Grow Texas Star Swamp Hibiscus : eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5334970_grow-texas-star-swamp-hibiscus.html#ixzz0qbMWNqLM

• wally_1936
    13 years ago

They enjoy moist soil but not standing water as the roots can rot. I am also new in growing Texas Star Hibiscus, but enjoying the blooms. I have two different varieties as one has narrow leaves with they tapered blooms as "kmonceaux" posted and the other has a little broader leaves and a smaller rounded flower pedal but both are red. My white one died so I never got any seeds off as no blooms. It looks like there is starting to be a greater love for this plant despite the legginess of the plant. I am looking forward to having enough to cover my front wall of my flower bed.