Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Not a Good Year for my Hibs....so far!

susanlynne48
18 years ago

Except for 'Texas Star'. My 'Fantasia' is just now putting up one little bitty shoot, as is 'Kopper King'. We have had inordinately cool weather, and a lot of temp fluctuations in OKC, and virtually no rain until last week, so I don't know if these conditions affect the growth of hibiscus or not. I had been watering the plants up until we received almost 1' of rain last week because it has been so dry. But we have had many days of 40's at night and 50's daytime temps, and then up to 80's almost 90 for a couple of days, and then it drops again. It is cloudy and very cool (50's) outside today.

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing problems with their hardy hibiscus.

Susan

Comments (3)

• rjj1
    18 years ago

Hi Susan

IÂm just noticing them breaking the ground in the past 10-12 days. I like an early start with my Texas Star. I container grow one every year. ItÂs only about 2Â tall.

randy

• sissyz
    18 years ago

Susan,
    I bought two Kopper Kings to serve as burgandy accents in a large island bed. They are being dwarfed by the guara. I know these are supposed to get bigger, but mine haven't grown at all. Maybe they need the consistent heat of summer.??

• bruggirl
    18 years ago

Don't fret. They don't really emerge until temps are constantly 70 or above, so when your nighttime temps stay at 70, you'll see them sprouting.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022