Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kuvaszlvr

millenium superstar

kuvaszlvr
10 years ago

Does anyone know where to find Millennium Superstar tropical Hibiscus? I had one a few years ago, killed it during the winter and have desperately been trying to find another one ever since (been a member here for years, mostly stick around the hot pepper forum and can't believe I never thought to check here ;-)). I have given up several times, but then I get the bug again and start looking, only thing I can find on it is photos. Any help would be appreciated!
Pam

Comments (4)

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you!! they are sold out, but at least now I know where I can find them!
    Pam

• Gutzmek
    10 years ago

Kuvaszlvr,
    This is a Curt Sinclair CV. Like some of the other major breeders such as DuPont, Schuelter, Black, and others, you may want to try and make contact with the original grower. This is a registered cultivar, and honestly may not be in circulation anymore. Unlike early varieties, newer plants are not grown from seed. There is a single original and all others are either cuttings or grafted.

I do not believe that everyone understand how unique newer CVs are. Think of hibiscus genes the same as people. If the same parents have 5 kids, what are the odds that all 5 look identical? They may have similar traits, but will also have variances. Perfect example is 'Voodoo Magic', 'We Remember', and 'Night Runner'. If you do a Google image search you will find that each of these are very different. The one thing in common is they are from the same two parents, 'Night Fire' and 'Rum Runner'.

Again, my suggestion is to try and contact the original breeder to see if he is still growing the original plant or maybe knows someone with a mature cutting and could possibly get you a cutting. Another idea is to try and find a plant with a similar bloom. Sometimes varieties are removed from circulation for superior plant traits.
    Hope this helps,
    Ed

• wheresthebeach38
    10 years ago

Good thoughts Ed. Another option is to find one similar that is currently on the market. There are many.

Sponsored