Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amelia_pepper_lady

When to give up?

amelia_pepper_lady
15 years ago

I love hibiscus but have never had one. I also love growing plants from seed. I recently acquired some hibiscus seeds. Simple, right?

Well, now I have learned to nick the seeds.

I still can't get seeds to germinate. (One variety has germinated but can't seem to slough off the seed casing. It dies.)

How long before I should give up on the seeds? Any suggestions for my next try with these seeds?

Comments (3)

• emily_aust
    15 years ago

my hibiscus seeds germinated very easily, no nicking required, just scattered over some cheap potting mix, covered lightly, in late spring. If I can't get seeds to germinate it usually means seed is old and not viable (- not been stored properly) or the mice get the seeds before they have a chance! But if i really want them to germinate, then i try putting them in doors on my make do heat bed (electric blanket set on 1) - i have had very good results on that.

• amelia_pepper_lady
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Success?????

I now have 2 hibiscus seedlings. These appear to be strong enough to survive.

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

Okra is hibiscus relative. When I planted my hibiscus seeds which I collected from my plants, I soaked them for 24 hours in a damp towel, just like I do with okra seeds. The swelled, cracked and then I planted them in the greenhouse in May so they would get really warm. They sprouted and poked through within 5 days.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area