Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merkity

hibiscus seedlings in progress

merkity
9 years ago

i have a little over a dozen seedlings in progress right now. interesting thing i have two different leaf types going on. these are the ones that were unexpected...

Comments (12)

• merkity
    Original Author
    9 years ago

these are the normal ones....

• User
    9 years ago

Merkity,
    The unexpected ones don't look like hibiscus.
    Sorry.
    They remind me of oak trees. LOL.
    Interesing though, see if they bloom.

• merkity
    Original Author
    9 years ago

this batch of seedlings came from pods i harvested off my plants. most of them are either red double or butterfly pod parents. There is a variety of hibiscus with "fascinating foliage" aka these tri-lobed leaves... it will certainly be interesting to see what kind of flower i get from them. i only have to wait another year or two...

• Gutzmek
    9 years ago

Merkity,

Curious to see what you get. I have 8 seedlings from over a year ago that are growing well. They are hybrids from some strains with good genetics.

This past fall I crossed a lot of unusual varieties. Many with Pinot Noir genes that are producing the unusual leaf patterns.
    Picture attached.
    Ed

• merkity
    Original Author
    9 years ago

those look great! nice and green. so far my funny leaves are holding - your tri-lobes are a lot smoother looking than mine. I am bad at feeding mine - need to fertilize them more often. I think i figured out that my current batch is about a year and a half old. my first two seedlings are about 3 years and one is producing the very first flower bud :) can't wait! I have a bunch more seeds that need to be sprouted - but until i clear my counter, i don't have room to grow them - gotta kick this batch o' seedlings outside!

• Gutzmek
    9 years ago

I have to laugh at the room issue. I have about 40 growing tropical, 40 seedlings, 30 growing cuttings and several hardy varieties. The wife is beginning to get agitated as we have hibiscus everywhere!

• merkity
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL yep. i was on orchidboard the other night, someone started a thread of growing areas and i realized that mine had expanded rapidly...our kitchen bar, the top of the birdcage, my sons room, one in the bathroom, our front patio and hubby is now helping with food stuffs in the backyard! yikes!

• Gutzmek
    9 years ago

Haha. Every available flat space that either has sunlight or artificial is used. You know it is bad when the wife wakes you up at 3 AM because the cat has pulled a growing cutting down and is chomping away.

• merkity
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lol - yep our youngest cat has been knocking one of my poor cattleyas off the dresser - its now sporting several broken bulbs :( guess i have to find it different home or anchor it down.

• black_mage6664
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

i have seedlings just like yours, all from indoor hibiscus and one is red stemmed, veined and trilobed as well, the others look like normal hibiscus leaves. its also growing way faster than the others. does anyone know what's happening? i've looked for ever and i cant find any information. also, my seedlings are about 5 or 7 inches tall but they have no branches, is this normal? if so when do they begin to branch? i am brand new at this, and i cant find proper information about what happens after you plant a hibiscus seed.

• merkity
    Original Author
    9 years ago

this batch of seedlings and been growing out of its funny leaves. the ones that had the funny looking leaves have moved to more regular leaves with spiky edges at they grew taller. I have a new batch of seedlings that i started in June of last year. about 1/2 the batch is nearly 2 feet tall. the other half is much shorter, anywhere from a foot to only a few inches. i think this is simply normal in the way the seedlings grow. i have several mature plants the are opposite ends of the growth spectrum. some grow very slowly and others are very quick growers.

As long as your seedlings are growing leaves near the top of the stem, they should be okay - maybe a bit more fertilizer is needed? I also have had some that simply didn't have leaves up most of the stem. to get them to branch more - many people will pinch the seedlings at a certain point. I don't usually so mine are getting about 5 plus feet tall before they branch out and start flowering.

• black_mage6664
    9 years ago

interesting. thank you so much for responding. this is all new an exciting for me and im learning in the dark here hahaha i'll try pinching one of the seedlings to make branches, they're all around 7 months old.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County