Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hibiscus seedlings in progress

Posted by Merkity zone 9 (My Page) on
Sun, May 11, 14 at 19:05

i have a little over a dozen seedlings in progress right now. interesting thing i have two different leaf types going on. these are the ones that were unexpected...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hibiscus seedlings in progress

these are the normal ones....

o

Merkity,
The unexpected ones don't look like hibiscus.
Sorry.
They remind me of oak trees. LOL.
Interesing though, see if they bloom.

o

this batch of seedlings came from pods i harvested off my plants. most of them are either red double or butterfly pod parents. There is a variety of hibiscus with "fascinating foliage" aka these tri-lobed leaves... it will certainly be interesting to see what kind of flower i get from them. i only have to wait another year or two...

o

Merkity,

Curious to see what you get. I have 8 seedlings from over a year ago that are growing well. They are hybrids from some strains with good genetics.

This past fall I crossed a lot of unusual varieties. Many with Pinot Noir genes that are producing the unusual leaf patterns.
Picture attached.
Ed

o

those look great! nice and green. so far my funny leaves are holding - your tri-lobes are a lot smoother looking than mine. I am bad at feeding mine - need to fertilize them more often. I think i figured out that my current batch is about a year and a half old. my first two seedlings are about 3 years and one is producing the very first flower bud :) can't wait! I have a bunch more seeds that need to be sprouted - but until i clear my counter, i don't have room to grow them - gotta kick this batch o' seedlings outside!

o

I have to laugh at the room issue. I have about 40 growing tropical, 40 seedlings, 30 growing cuttings and several hardy varieties. The wife is beginning to get agitated as we have hibiscus everywhere!

o

LOL yep. i was on orchidboard the other night, someone started a thread of growing areas and i realized that mine had expanded rapidly...our kitchen bar, the top of the birdcage, my sons room, one in the bathroom, our front patio and hubby is now helping with food stuffs in the backyard! yikes!

o

Haha. Every available flat space that either has sunlight or artificial is used. You know it is bad when the wife wakes you up at 3 AM because the cat has pulled a growing cutting down and is chomping away.

o

lol - yep our youngest cat has been knocking one of my poor cattleyas off the dresser - its now sporting several broken bulbs :( guess i have to find it different home or anchor it down.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here