Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seedlings of 'Diana'!!!

Posted by green1 7a (My Page) on
Tue, May 10, 05 at 19:09

I know hibiscus syriacus "Diana" (rose of sharon) is reputed to be sterile, but it is not. Late in the season last year my Diana set several pods which matured. There were only a few seeds in each pod, [1-4]. These seeds were unusual in that they were kidney shaped, with a ruff of hairs around the outside edge. Sort of a circular Mohawk. I planted seed from an early pod in a pot and left it outside all winter. It was the quickest to germinate, yielding only one seedling to date. The rest were stored in a baggie in the garage until 2 weeks ago, when they were planted in a divided tray. 3 of these seeds have already germinated. I'm guessing that these seeds are from self pollinated flowers, as there are no other ROS near that I now of. There is one house about 1/3 mile away (as the bee flies) that has ROS. It is possible that these might be the pollen scource too. I don't know how long it takes for ROS to bloom from seed as I was not fond of rose of sharon until I saw "Diana". I'm excited to think what the offspring will look like.

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here