Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sanketi

no blooms only foliage..pics

sanketi
16 years ago

I got this hibiscus from lowes ,end of march 07,,it bloomed like crazy for almost a month and then totally stopped..last week i went and got some miracle grow bloom booster acc to the advise of those who help in the garden center at lowes..and fed all my plants with a highly diluted mixture of this..so far nothing much has happened.!

there is a lot of new grow as well as yellowing of leaves.,even my salvias are refusing to bloom ..only thick green foliage..what could be the reason..???????

also can someone look at the pics and tell me what kind of hibiscus is it ? the pic was taken 2 weeks after i got the plant home..it was so pretty then..!

Here is a link that might be useful: picasaweb

Comments (3)

• cncnorman
    16 years ago

Wow, a ? I might actually be able to answer! I'm totally new to Hibiscus (hibiscuses is plural?) and I found this forum to ask my own ????'s. However, I did read something just a few minutes ago about how to take care of plants that aren't blooming. Go to this website http://www.fancyhibiscus.com/ and on the left side of the page scroll all the way down and click on A Growing Plan. I guess these are heavy feeders?
    Good luck!
    Christina

Here is a link that might be useful: A Growing Plan

• jenny_in_se_pa
    16 years ago

Hibiscuses bloom on new growth so the ferts would encourage more growth, which has to mature before it goes into a bloom cycle once more. Often nurseries, big box stores, etc., get them from greenhouses right when the controlled growth that occurred after fall/winter pruning has matured to get them in bloom for sale. Basically you have to be a little patient now while it does its growth spurt before it will be ready to bloom again. Don't be too concerned about yellowing/dropping leaves as they will do this when their environment changes (amount of water, sun, temperature). and the stems will resprout new leaves eventually.

In any case, that's a pretty one and I wish you luck with your "baby"! :)

• hitexplanter
    16 years ago

The wholesaler I buy this cultivar just calls it rose. I am not sure if there is a specific name other than that. They are gross feeders and prefer more potassium and less phosphorus inspite of what the folks at Lowes may say. It doesn't mean that what you have won't work but I would consider getting a 3-1-2 ratio fert to alternate with your present fert regime. Also they seem to like an extra kick if magnesium so add a tbsp. of epsom salt every other feeding to keep the green leaves healthier and better able to protect themselves from pests. Good Luck and Happy Growing David

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH