Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My hibiscus addiction continues

Posted by bruggirl z9FL (My Page) on
Sat, May 14, 05 at 20:26

It's competing with my brugmansia addiction this year, but it has a slight edge. I just potted up 47 second year seedlings into a gallon pots, and only lost two. Believe it or not, these were left in 6 packs all last year, because during the hurricanes and then the cold snaps, I didn't have time to repot them. I didn't think any of them would make it, but to my surprise, quite a few did.

I have about a dozen mixed hardy hibiscus, some H. radiatus, H. Cannabinus, H. Moschuetos, something just labeled "pink marshmallow", H. Mutabilis, both double pink and single white/pink versicolor. Might even have a texas star that survived. That would be nice, as my other one in the ground died.

I still have a lot of H. Militaris and H. Cannabinus left in pots from last year, and doing well. After weeding and feeding, I found I only had lost two. Have a few I can't identify, but my two Lunas came back. I'm thrilled about that, because I bought them just at the end of the season, and they almost immediately went dormant.

So now I just have to find a place to plant all these goodies! LOL I'll be living in hibiscus heaven!

Oh, forgot to mention I bought a Hula Girl this year. I've been wanting one forever, and I know exactly where it's going to go.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My hibiscus addiction continues

You have extraordinary taste in plants. I love brugs and hibiscuses. I have almost 20 varieties of tropical hibiscuses, about 10 varieties of brugs, 5 or 6 different altheas, 5 or 6 different perennial hibs and 3 different types of Confederate rose. At one time I had almost 100 pots of tropical hibs. I sold a number of them to raise money for a bone marrow transplant for an employee at another division within the company. Good luck with your hibs and brugs.

o

How sweet of you to sell your babies for your fellow employee! I love all my plants, and even thought of starting a back yard nursery. Still may, but maybe I'll just plant them all out.

o

• Posted by claferg z9a Volusia FL (My Page) on
    Thu, May 26, 05 at 22:22

I love Hibiscus as well, but I have had problems with the Confederate Rose and white flies.
Does anyone know how to control these little buggers?
I just love the flowers but the plants get pretty yucky looking after the white fly invasions.

o

Hi, fellow hibiscus fanatics! :-)

I started out with one Moy Grande mallow, and now have several hundred varieties of H. rosa sinensis. And was recently volunteered to be the Nomenclature officer for the American Hibiscus Society. Yep, hibiscus can quickly become addictive!

There are also a lot of other tropicals in my garden, including a half-dozen recently acquired Brugmansia varieties.

I'm always glad to swap wood, and plants if I can spare them, with other afficianados.

Claferg, it is unfortunate, but white flies seem to love all types of Mallows. Yellow sticky traps can help, but are unsightly. Various sprays of insecticides, soap, Neem oil, etc. have been recommended by various growers.

Regards,

Rick (HibRick)

Here is a link that might be useful: Lone Star Chapter, American Hibiscus Society

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here