Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dying hibiscus

Posted by afran970 none (My Page) on
Sat, May 21, 11 at 20:27

I bought a beautiful potted hibiscus a week ago but now it's not looking so good. All the leaves are drooped and limp. I took a look at the roots and it seemed to be quite root bound, so I repotted in a bigger container. I live in Colorado, so of course it's been inside at regular home temperatures. Is it too late, or does anyone have any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dying hibiscus

I think it may be craving some sunlight. Typically hibiscus loves warm temperatures, morning sun (which plant doesn't? :))and decent amount of watering. Have you been putting it outside so that it can enjoy the sun? If not, try to see if you can place it someplace where it will get about 2-3 hours of sun in the early morning for the first couple of weeks. Then you can slowly move it to an area where it will get more sun. This is to gradually acclimatize it or harden it, if you will.

I hope it survives and thrives. I love them.

Good luck.

o
RE: Dying hibiscus

What did you do to the rootbounded roots? Make sure you at least hand score the roots (claw at them) or even take a razor blade and score it that way.

Only repot in a container slightly bigger than the original.

Did the roots look healthy? Are you using well-drained potting mix? Is it getting a lot of sun?

Not sure where you are in CO, but as long as you are in a place that doesn't typically get below 45 degrees or so during the next 3-4 months, it is ok to leave it outside. It needs the outdoor sun to bloom well.

My best guess is that it is suffering shock from being indoors, but the drooping leaves typically indicate lack of water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here