Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rocca_gw

pH Paranoia

rocca
17 years ago

I know I'm nuts but here goes. I grow citrus trees and anything else that looks cool and doesn't belong here in Boston. I have learned that citrus especially lemons are quite particular about their pH levels SO....I bought a sophisticated pH meter and I have been enjoying learning about pH. Well my question is how fussy are hibiscus, or other plants like jasmin and oleander, about their pH? I just repotted ALL my plants and brought them outdoors for the summer so I figured hey why not test this potting soil that I am using for the first time, Miracle-Gro with slow release fertilizer in it. Well it seems to have a rather alarmingly (to me) low pH (around 4.8 to 5.0) Is this too acidic for these plants? AM I being paranoid? The citrus trees are potted in coconut husk chips which is a perfect 7.0 Thanks for your help.

Rocca

Comment (1)

• luis_pr
    17 years ago

Hello, Rocca. They prefer acidic soils but some varieties tolerate alkaline soils. For example, Hibiscus sp. 'Flare', 'Lord Baltimore', 'Moy Grande'. My soil in the Dallas/Fort Worth area is alkaline although I use organic ammendments, manure and compost throughout the garden. Neither the oleanders or jasmin have complained so far.

As far as whether your acidic potting soil will bother them, I would let someone else chime in. Just wondering, what is that potting soil good for? They sometimes say things like 'for acid loving plants' or 'for general use', etc. A PH Level like 5 would make azaleas and rhodies very happy but lilacs would be unhappy.

Luis

Sponsored