Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Hibiscus

Posted by rommy z8 NC (My Page) on
Tue, May 27, 08 at 21:40

Hi Everyone! My daughter gave me a beautiful hibiscus for mothers day. My only concern is whether it is a tropical or a perennial? Any advice would be helpful. I have tried reading about both and can't quite differentiate. The tag on the plant said full sun, hardy to 20 degrees farenheit, fast grower and to keep moist. Don't want to take a chance on putting it in the ground and losing it...would rather keep it in a large pot on the deck if need be. Any advice would be much appreciated. The flowers are a blended pink with a deeper pink center.
Thanks! Rommy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Hibiscus

Sounds like it is tropical, they are perennial also if they don't get frozen. Hardy have a more plain leaf than the tropical hibiscus does. Tropical also have many that are double flowers and mostly a smaller flower. Tropical leaves are more glossy than most hardy hibiscus, and hardy can take a lot more than a 20 degree farenheit. Tropical are fast growers over 8' tall if allowed. It can be pruned back up to 3 or 4 times in a summer to maintain the growth and for better blooming throughout the summer.

o
RE: New Hibiscus

Wally, Thanks for the input. I will put this baby in a pot for sure. One other question! If I leave it on the deck;which gets full sun all day, will it be too much sun? Thanks again for the answer.
Rommy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here