Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slazin

Q re Hibiscus moscheutos seedlings

slazin
10 years ago

Hello - I've grown a bunch of H. Moscheutos (hardy hib) seedlings this year - germination was great, and now they're about 6" tall. I have a bed with mature hibs, and was wondering if I should plant them out there now, or pot them up into 1 or 2 gal size and grow them in pots this year, keep them in my unheated greenhouse over the winter, and then plant them out next spring.

Since I wintersowed them, they are in the bottom half of milk jugs, and I wouldn't have to separate them - I could just plant a hunk of several complete with their soil clump.

I'm in the Pacific Northwest, in Canada, near Vancouver, z8.

Many thanks!

Comments (2)

• Gutzmek
    10 years ago

Slazin,
    Depending on your winter extremes, I would plant them. Before winter use either mulch or straw to protect from the elements. If you are worried, pinch and prune the tops to encourage growth, and transplant next mid spring.
    Ed

• slazin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ed, thank you. We usually only get a week of snow, and seldom get a long freeze (knock wood & hope I don't jinx it for next year!) Think I'll plant some and save some - a little experiment.

About the pinching - I've never done that, and I have a large patch of mature hibs. If I pinch them this year at 12" - 15", will they still bloom this year? (They're almost a foot tall right now.)

Thanks!

Sponsored