Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vela75

Which Hibiscus do I use?

vela75
16 years ago

I saw a beautiful Hibiscus at Lowes today, though it was very expensive. It was in tree form, and the "trunk" was actually three stems/branches that had been trained braided. I would like to have one, but refuse to pay that much money for one. I have plenty of patience to wait and train one myself. Can you start them from seed, or would I be better off to purchase young plants? Are there any that would be hardy in my zone? If not, how do I keep it alive? Thanks in advance!!

Comments (4)

• hitexplanter
    16 years ago

You need to start out with 2 or 3 small ones 4.5 inch containers if you can find them and then patiently wrap the green stems around each other. In most cases it will take two years in the south to get what you see sold as a braided tree. You also need to prune all but the 2 or 3 leaders off throughout this time period.
    They are tropical hibiscus so you will need to bring them inside to a sunny area of the home for the below 50 degree fall thru early spring time period.
    Too much work and time for me personally but good luck in your quest and Happy Growing David

• vela75
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you!!! Do you know if a rose of sharon can be trained into a tree form? It would be more hardy and still be pretty.

• hitexplanter
    16 years ago

Yes, just follow same idea as already expressed.
    Good Luck and Happy Growing David

• vela75
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you so much David! To top it all off, I received rose of sharon seeds for free the other day!!! I can't beat that!

Sponsored
Koura Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Virginia's Top Choice for Reliable General Contractors