Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merkity

Hibiscus plant at Winchester mystery house

merkity
9 years ago

we went to the Winchester Mystery house today - they had a little orchid expo going on. we ended up doing the tour and in their garden i found the biggest hibiscus plant i have seen in person...i haven no idea what variety it might be..buts its old...
this is the flower - i was looking at it and went looking for the main plant...

Comments (5)

• merkity
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i was trying to find the bush around the tree it was near...then i realized it was the TREE!

• merkity
    Original Author
    9 years ago

those trunks behind the flower are the hibiscus plant. here is a picture of the whole thing - its hard to see a bit, but the red flowers show you the range of the tree...you can see the flower i took a close up of at the bottom, and then four other flowers at the top of the tree. the bush is taller than the building and is growing sideways branches. its got a little plague in front of it - but just labels it hibiscus.

• merkity
    Original Author
    9 years ago

one more- a most of the plant view....

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    9 years ago

Wow! That's an awesome Hibiscus!! I haven't been to the Winchester house in years, but I remember the gardens being lovely. I think I enjoyed them more than the house tour! Thanks for the pics.

• Gutzmek
    9 years ago

Great pics Merkity. I love running across these old hibiscus. The botanical gardens in Missouri has a few that exceed the 30-40+ foot range. The butterfly house there also has a H. Schizopetalus that one can walk under with flowers hanging around your head.

Ed

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County