Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennyk67_gw

My Brand New Hibiscus is Dying

jennyk67
13 years ago

I bought my first braided hibiscus tree almost 2 weeks ago and already it's looking like it's dying.

Some background: The only way I could get the tree home is to put it into my jeep and pull back the convertible top. I was really worried about it being so windy while driving, but thought it would be ok. I transplanted it into a fairly larger pot and added "moisture control" fertilizer/soil by miracle grow. I watered it just enough to moisten the soil. Withing 2-3 days I noticed the leaves turning yellow. So I stopped watering it. As soon as I stopped watering it, the leaves look droopy, some crispy and the branches look bare. One large flower has already bloomed but any other buds are not noticeable. The temperature the last week has been 85-ish and humid. I tried "misting" it this morning and saw absolutely no change.

Please help me...I feel like I'm curse and anything I touch dies.

Comments (2)

• summerbreezes
    13 years ago

I think where you put the convertible top down you subjected your tree to wind burn...which would account for whats happened. You may or may not have lost it due to this ..just keep treating it like you had leaves and give it time ..hopefully it MAY come back in a few weeks..

• pkl2010
    13 years ago

When you transplant a plant into a new pot or into the ground or where ever - it does have a tendancy to go thru a sort of shock period. If you have a large enough saucer - set the pot in it and water from saucer. Plant will drink what it needs. Do you live in an area where you will need to bring it inside over winter? Treat your plant as if it were your child - any child would naturally go thru shock moving to a new home, wind burned or not.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living