Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Hibiscus syriacus cultivars with double flowers

whaas_5a
11 years ago

I've planted Blue Satin and Aphrodite and both plants croaked.

Two that did fantastic with little to no dieback in 5a had double pale pink flowers and the other pale bluish purple flowers.

Any ideas on what cultivars these may have been?

The last two years I've gone to the garden center every cutlivar has single flowers.

{{gwi:266460}}

{{gwi:266461}}

Comments (2)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Whaas,
    These are the only ones I grow. They clean themselves and keep blooming all summer. The single flower types puts out seed and then stops unless you cut off all the seed pods. They the seeds spurt all over the place. I don't know names due some change them. but I have the purple ones, the white ones with and without variegated leaves a dark purple one with variegated leaves but the buds don't fully open on this one. I have the red, white/red and just bought a blue one. I also lost the blue on last spring frost. It was young and not hardy enough to survive.
    Link to where I buy mine from.
    http://hirts-gardens.hostedbywebstore.com/Plants-Products/b/2260965011

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Any ideas on what cultivars you had?

The ones pictured above where loaded with buds every year. They would flower well for a full month.

I checked out hirts and they have all the same single flower varieties as the garden centers. Sugar tip is the only one that appears to be double. I don't know if I like that one as the blooms get lost in the foilage a little bit.

Aphrodite did what you said. It was one of the few plants that had that actually dropped seed and actually grew (silver maple was the only other one). It was extremely annoying.

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County