Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vajeff

Red splotches on leaves?

vajeff
12 years ago

Grew this pink dinnerplate hibiscus from seed this year. Planted it about three weeks ago. It survived an army of slugs (bleh!) and scorching sun. Now it has dark red splotches on the largest leaves. I'm wondering if it's a deficiency or if it really did get scorched. I fertilized it last week, so I'm clueless. Perhaps it's a disease?

{{gwi:888032}}

I thought it might be magnesium deficiency, so I tried an epsom salt spray a couple days ago, but no change yet.

(The water in the photo is from recent rain, not the spray.)

Comments (3)

• cindjo2
    12 years ago

Mine did that when it needed water? We had a really hot summer last year and I really neglected the bed that it was in.. I lost the plant which is astonishing for me.. It was a pink dinnerplate Hibiscus.. I noticed that the leaves started to turn that pinkish red color and maybe if I had watered it in better I could have saved it.

• vajeff
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ah, I didn't think about it needing more water. I assumed it had plenty; that the clay-ish soil and mulch would retain most of it. I've been giving it soakings (with very light fertilizer) a couple times a week, ever since transplanting. It did wilt and scorch (just a bit) during some unusually hot and dry days before quickly recovering. It was germinated in a hydroponic system and then potted up for a few weeks, so I'm wondering if it had water roots or if it got a bit too leggy. All the bottom growth seems to be fine (it even has a new stem or two growing). It's the large leaves that seem to be splotchy. Maybe if I cut the top/older growth back it might recover.

I'll keep watering it and see what happens. Hopefully, I will not have to toss it out. If worse comes to worst, I have a couple more started from seed, but they're still tiny.

Thank you for the help!

• cindjo2
    12 years ago

I am sure she just needs a little TLC.. Water her in and fertilize and she will come around just fine.. Good luck!

Sponsored