Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What variety is this?

Posted by mikeanddonna 6 (eastern WA) (My Page) on
Mon, May 28, 07 at 23:20

We were looking for a particular rose of sharon variety and just discovered your forum. Years ago we rented a house with a lovely rose of sharon in the back yard, and hope someone will be able to identify it from my hazy description:

Overall shape was a typical "V" ~8-10 ft tall. What set this one apart was its double flowers, lavender-pink with darker purple centers, which closed and turned BLUE as they faded. The overall effect was a two-tone bush blooming all summer.

Unfortunately, our landlady didn't know the variety; her dog dug out half the root system and it died before we could get a start, but we always wanted to find another.

Any suggestions?

tia - Mike and Donna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What variety is this?

Hi Donna and Mike.
From your description i can say that it is Rose of Sharon
"Lavender Chiffon"
There are a lots of pictures on the Internet.
Hope it will help.
Hala.

o
RE: What variety is this?

Mike and Donna,
ALso, if Lavender Chiffon isn't it,
You might try to research Ardens.
I just bought one for 15.00 at Lowes recently and I think that is the variety you are looking for, especially since you mentioned the blue color.
Google Ardens Rose of Sharon for a pic.
They sell them all over at Home Centers.
Good Luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here