Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juju22244

Two hibiscuses to identify

juju222
17 years ago

When I was out for a walk several days ago, I found these two hibiscus bushes growing "wild" -- that is, unattended in a vacant lot. The orangish one I also saw a bush of in a nearby park (in photo).

Does anyone know what these are?

Here is a closeup of the orangy one...

Here is a shot of the bush...

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (4)

• gardeniarose
    17 years ago

The shrub with blooms looks like the one I have, which I've come to the conclusion is "Jane Cowel," a garden variety. However, the single bloom you have pictured looks much more orange than mine and also looks to have more petals. I think Jane Cowel is a semi-double, while your bloom appears to be a full double. Hopefully someone will come along here and help us out. Where did you get this shrub from?

• juju222
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi gardeniarose,

Thank you for responding. I found the orangish bush on a vacant lot in Downey CA. I picked the bloom from that bush and then, about 1/4 mile away was a similar bush (the photo is of that bush, not the one I picked the bloom from) that I thought might be the same type.

I looked up "Jane Cowel" and I think it is much peachier than "mine." Mine is more toward the yellow end of the spectrum ... the photo is pretty true color (at least on my monitor lol).

Juju

• larulya
    17 years ago

yellow hibiscus - Crown off Bohemia

• juju222
    Original Author
    17 years ago

larulya,

I never would have picked that one...most of the photos online are much more yellow than orangy. Is it possible that temperature/time of year have an affect on the coloring?

Juju222

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!