Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulan70

Question on care of Hibiscus

paulan70
17 years ago

I just bought 2 Hibiscus from walmart the smaller size and 1 from home depot. The tags says tropical. Now here is my question this is the first year of growing this beautiful plants and I am just wondering on how well they weather the Indiana winters and what is the correct way to care for these. Like for example plant in pots and bring in during the winter or will they last outside all year with the proper mulching? I just want to make sure that my new babies are well taken care of. Thanks

Paula

Comments (3)

• plantsofheaven
    17 years ago

Plant them in pots and bring in during winter assuming they are tropicals. They will only survive outside in zones 8-11 I think.
    Please to meet you,
    Mike

• beachbarbie
    17 years ago

Paula,
    Mike's right. There's no way tropicals could handle your winters. Where I live its a "cool" zone 9 and they go dormant here and I would likely lose some if I left them outside.
    There's a great website I always recommend to people living in colder climates who have hibiscus. I attached the link.
    Barb

Here is a link that might be useful: Queen of the Tropics

• paulan70
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Is there a way to tell if it is a tropic or the hardy type? Thanks And I will have to check out that link. Thanks again.

Paula

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH