Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question on care of Hibiscus

Posted by paulan70 5 Indiana (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 12, 06 at 0:45

I just bought 2 Hibiscus from walmart the smaller size and 1 from home depot. The tags says tropical. Now here is my question this is the first year of growing this beautiful plants and I am just wondering on how well they weather the Indiana winters and what is the correct way to care for these. Like for example plant in pots and bring in during the winter or will they last outside all year with the proper mulching? I just want to make sure that my new babies are well taken care of. Thanks

Paula

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question on care of Hibiscus

Plant them in pots and bring in during winter assuming they are tropicals. They will only survive outside in zones 8-11 I think.
Please to meet you,
Mike

o

Paula,
Mike's right. There's no way tropicals could handle your winters. Where I live its a "cool" zone 9 and they go dormant here and I would likely lose some if I left them outside.
There's a great website I always recommend to people living in colder climates who have hibiscus. I attached the link.
Barb

Here is a link that might be useful: Queen of the Tropics

o

Is there a way to tell if it is a tropic or the hardy type? Thanks And I will have to check out that link. Thanks again.

Paula

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here