Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jroot_gw

How does one winter Hibiscus tiliacea?

jroot
13 years ago

I have grown some Hibiscus tiliacea from seed, and am wondering how to over winter it. I live in zone 5 Canada.

I do have 12 other tropical hibiscus, and am wondering if this one should be treated the same, as it is a very different plant.

Comments (5)

• jroot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No response after a month's wait? Does no one know or is there something I did incorrectly?

John

• palmfan
    13 years ago

I would treat it like any other potted tropical hibiscus. Bring it in for the winter and keep it in a sunny room that is not too hot. It may go into shock and lose some leaves, but it should recover and grow for you. I don't know if this species will flower as a pot plant or not. Keep us informed!

• princealbert
    13 years ago

jroot,
    here is a description I found for it.
    It was written by Barney on Brugmansia world.
    Hibiscus tiliaceus Linnaeus - Native Pan-tropical Tree

Beach Hibiscus, Vau [Fiji]; French Purau

This astonishing Hibiscus is nothing like you've ever seen! If you're used to hybrids or landscape type Hibiscus, this one will knock your socks off. The flowers are bright yellow with a black eye, 6" across, but the amazing feature of this Hibiscus is the change of flower color from yellow to orange to rose or red as it ages over the period of a day. At any given time, all three colors of flowers can be on the plant at one time. Another feature is it's ability to grow to thirty feet or more. It becomes a tree! We aren't talking about making it into a standard, we're saying it becomes a spreading shade tree with large, thick, heart shaped leaves. We have seen a small forest of these trees in a yard and cannot adequately relate how magnificent they are.

Tree Hibiscus grows quickly and can provide shade and a breathtaking show of flowers. We know it as a tropical tree that grows well in zones 9-11. You can pot it up, make it mobile, then transfer to the house or greenhouse when temps get near the freezing mark. It is an ideal plant/tree for beach planting as it is both salt and wind tolerant. Nothing special soil wise - it will even grow in sand (fortified with some fertilizer). It is reproduced via seed or the usual methods of cutting reproduction. Seeds float in seawater and are viable for several months which probably accounts for its wide distribution throughout Polynesia and Fiji, although as a very useful tree it was probably also introduced to islands where it was absent. In those countries, the plant has native medicinal uses and it's old wood is highly prized by canoe builders and for home construction.

Barney may be able to help with overwintering info. Here is a link to the article.

http://www.brugmansiaworld.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=186

Here is a link to her website she is a seller but is very helpful, you may already know her.

http://www.arghyagardens.com

I hope nobody thinks I am hawking goods for anyone. She has helped me more than once.
    pa

• dirtygardener73
    13 years ago

H. tileacus doesn't like temps below 50 degrees. It is evergreen in zones 10-11, but can lose leaves in colder temperatures. I lost mine last year when we got down to temperatures in the 20's for a couple of nights.

• jroot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you kindly, folks. I started this one from seed, and did bring her indoors before it got too cold. I hasn't dropped any leaves yet and continues to grow slowly (more slowly than the typical Hibiscus rosa-sinensis, but I am thinking that I should repot her. Currently, I have her under florescent lights, as I have not more window space left. Lol

Any thoughts?

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County