Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrea_san_diego

Stunted Growth on Hibiscus Bride

andrea_san_diego
18 years ago

This gnarly little thing just won't seem to grow. I fertilize, amend and water but it's still stunted.

Comments (3)

• minibim
    18 years ago

Wow, that is pretty pathetic looking. Have no idea what's wrong BUT, if it were mine.......... I would dig it up and put it back in a pot with nice rich potting soil. Check to see if the root ball was rootbound before it went in the ground and loosen up the root ball. Then I would trim it up to only a couple of branches with leaves to encourage new growth.

Once it renewed itself, then put it in the ground in another location. Any idea how acidic your soil actually is? - they like acid.

The other thing is, have you checked it for pests? If you don't mind pesticides, I would use some Bayer Advanced Tree and Shrub on it.

• andrea_san_diego
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Forgot to mention that I have dug it up to check the rootball, and the roots look good actually. It had a few snails and aphids but I took care of them and I have been giving it regular feedings of cottonseed meal, worm gold plus, and Bayer products. Maybe I just got a "lemon" istead of a hibiscus.

Andrea

• jean001
    18 years ago

Soil in Sand Diego is typically near neutral. And although they may "like acid soil," they generally do well in SoCal.

In any event, the thing looks so puny that -- if it were mine -- I'd replace it with a healthy specimen.

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County