Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the real Hibiscus sabdariffa (for tea etc.)?

Posted by flowersandthings MidAtlantic 6/7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 5, 05 at 2:46

Hi which is the REAL Hibiscus sabdariffa? I googled some images thinking it might make a nice plant for tea and decorative uses.... I googled images and found some images of some very unattractive and TINY white (mallow type) flowered plants and some very large (showy! :) ) pink plants.... Which is the real one? I wouldn't want to eat the wrong one! What does the hibiscus for eating (tea etc.) look like? Scientific name is usually ( I think) Hibiscus sabdariffa..... Thanks :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the real Hibiscus sabdariffa (for tea etc.)?

The Australian Hibiscus Society has the info on the real deal. You can find links from their page to recipies, etc.
Barb

o

This is what mine looks like. Flower isn't much to look at. It's the seed pods that are pretty.

Here is a link that might be useful: H. Sabdariffa (sorrel)

o

Hibiscus rosa-sinensis petals are used for a tea also. Have you tried that? I'm going to try and make some tomorrow.
Barb

o

I've made tea from the blooms of the Hibiscus syriacus I have in my gardens...the Mt. Sinai variety makes a rich tea (using just 1 or 2 blooms in a saucepan, with maybe 3 cups of water) which i then cut down about 4 to 1 with water. I've found it makes a wonderful, naturally sweet drink when put thru my iced tea maker. I'll often add in some lemonbalm (as a treatment for my herpes) and this summer I plan to play with borage and a few other herbs to see what other combinations I can come up with.

I'd love to post a picture of my hisbiscus...but can't figure out how. :)
-jaz

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here