Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How does one properly deadhead a tropical hibiscus?

Posted by GlitterQueen 5b/6a Ontario (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 22, 05 at 5:48

I just purchased my very first tropical hibiscus this weekend at a local nursery after many years of admiring them from afar. It has no I.D. on it but it's about 2'H X 2'W with beautiful pale-peach-pink double flowers.

I know that deadheading is a must for not only keeping the plant looking neat & tidy, but also for encouraging more blooms. However, I'm not sure what the proper method of deadheading is for a hibiscus. Do I simply remove the bloom from its little green "socket" when it's spent, or should I cut the whole thing off at the stem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How does one properly deadhead a tropical hibiscus?

• Posted by Rjj1 Ok USDA Zone 7 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 22, 05 at 7:26

Its possible you might be confusing two different species here. Hibiscus blooms generally last for only one day and then drop from the plant on their own with no encouragement. It certainly keeps a larger specimen looking better when you collect all the spent blooms if they drop and land on limbs below.

randy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here