Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toubab

Is there anyone out there in Hibiscus land ?

toubab
16 years ago

I recently posted a message asking for help to solve a mould problem on Hibiscus grown in a sub-tropical climate.

Perhaps the title of "Pseudocercospora abelmoschi treatment" sounded too complicated .. but I am surprised that no one has been able to offer any suggestions to what must be a fairly common problem in other countries, amongst Hibiscus growers and aficionados.

At first glance, this Website discussion forum appeared to be very helpful  but is, as yet, totally disappointing.

Are you all on holiday ?

I am trying to help my friend .. is no one willing to help me ?

Comments (3)

• watergal
    16 years ago

You're right - I looked at the genus name, had no clue what it was, and moved on.

Here in the US, we get a black sooty mold that usually comes about as a result of whiteflies or sometimes other sucking pests.

Neem oil is a good all-purpose treatment, but I can't recall where neem trees grow, perhaps Australia?

• hitexplanter
    16 years ago

The black sooty mold that watergal refers to is often the poop of the pest that is sucking on the hibiscus. Just plain old soap and water a few times will break it down and spray it off with water after a few treatments the sooty mold should be gone. It doesn't really cause a problem to the plant but is a symptom of the real problem. In Hawaii I ran in to it and if I controlled the ants that feed on this honeydew excretement that I didn't have much of a problem. Aphids is what I would often encounter as the culprit but white flies and mealybugs can do much the same if they get out of hand.
    I hope this gives you some ideas to share with your friend and good luck and Happy Growing
    David

• toubab
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I will pass on your helpful information to my friend ..

Evidently Neem Oil and the Neem Tree are indigenous to India .. but as there are many Indians doing business in West Africa, my friend might be lucky in finding some ! ;-))

Cheers

David

Sponsored