Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancita_gw

My hibiscus rosa-senensis stopped blooming!

nancita
18 years ago

Please help. My gorgeous hibiscus just stopped therie fabulous blooms. They are growing beautifully but not one single bloom. They are only about 2-3 months old and seem very happy otherwise. Thank you for any info. I greatly appreciate any help.

Nancita

Comments (8)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

If you just planted them, then they are trying to readjust to the new conditions and are probably growing roots and will soon produce new leaves and stems. Once the new growth has matured, it should begin to reestablish a cycle of bloom, new roots, new growth, bloom... etc. Eventually all of these cycles will happen amongst different pars of the plant at once so you would see continuous blooms.

• nancita
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Whew! That's great news. Thank you.
    Can I prune them now? What's the best way to prune the hibiscus?
    Nancita

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

Well... if you prune now you may delay bloom on the cut branches until any new growth that results matures. But in general, your pruning would encourage bushiness and a denser plant. You can cut to just above a leaf node and it should sprout 1 - 2 stems from that point. A general rule of thumb might be to cut back 1/3rd - 1/2 if you want. In fact, since they bloom on new growth, some cut it back even more but usually only on the older more established ones.

• nancita
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Today I had my first bloom in a long time. By the end of the day, the bloom was draining in color so now it's probably white. Is this normal? Should I keep fertilizing? Thank you.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

Hibiscus blooms normally only last about a day (perhaps a little longer if it is cool and overcast) and the flower color can sometimes be affected by the weather (eg., temperature and amount of sunlight). I wouldn't worry about what happens at the end of the day because that flower is pretty much done its life and would eventually close up and fall off, usually by the next day.

Regarding fertilizing - it depends on what you are using. Usually I follow the label directions for how often and may cut back some during winter.

• nancita
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, since my last inquiry, there has been only one more bllom on the same plant as before. It, too, withered and went white like. This had never happened before. The blooms were always popping out and lasted two to three days. Now everything is light green. I don't even see any old (three months old) growth. They look so unhappy! Any suggestions? Thank you.

• hibiscuslovr
    18 years ago

I had tons of flying pests, including Aphyds, etc, and the Malathion treatment (2 tablespoons/gal water) spray got rid of 95 % of the pests overnight. The 2nd treatment got the remainer. A miracle! One plant was literally falling apart and not blooming at all; my plants bloom profusely now!!!!!

TIP: the best liquid fertilizer for all your plants, bushes and trees, including tomatoes. Take a 5-gallon bucket and fill it half full w/manure (horse or cow); then, fill it full with water. Let it sit a few hours; then dip (I use a hand-held mug) off ~ 1-2 mugs full per day for tomatos, ~ 1-2 mugs/day for hibiscus. It is a miracle fertilizer. And, CHEAP ...... too!

NOTE: REFILL to top with water after the liquid is removed down to the manure level.

once or twice per week: (U can't burn anything with this no matter how much U use)

2-3 mugs for bushes, including fig trees too
    3-4 mugs for trees

John G Williams
    Germantown, Tn 38138

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    18 years ago

Do ya have to get the manure straight from the field? Or can us city gals get the same result from the stuff in a bag of Black Cow?