Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
viktoriag_gw

No signs of life?

viktoriag
15 years ago

Hello, amateur here.

Last summer I planted three hardy hibiscus (they bloom red and beautiful) and left them as sticks. They have not come back, but they were not really mulched and something that looks like an extremely thick root seems to be exposed, and probably was all winter.

Across the yard, we have a pink one, which was bought somewhere else and was already much larger. This one awoke about a month ago. It's not at least a foot high at last check, and very leafy.

I don't know when to give up on the red ones, or what to do. We had such a cool spring, but now we've had a run of heat and sunlight. They are kept well watered. When I poke around at them, there is green below the surface and I read in some other threads that this may mean it's too soon to give up.

How do I know when to throw in the towel, and is it ok that those thick root things were exposed? Thanks for any help. They were so pretty, I really want them to come back!

Comments (2)

• jeannejeanie
    15 years ago

give it some more time... i thought mine were gone too & today i saw a small 1" growth at the base. i too did not mulch. good luck .. let us know when they wake up

• nucci60
    15 years ago

I mmulched them all well and two did not return."Fireball and "blue river 2'. MY TWO FAVORITES.

Sponsored