Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tell the difference?

Posted by marilyn_fl zone 9 Florida (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 8:43

Is there a way to tell the difference between a White Rose ofSharon and a white hibiscus? I have a beautiful white hibiscus or maybe a White Rose of Sharon.

TIA
Marilyn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tell the difference?

Hibiscus syriacus = Rose of Sharon
A couple of named cultivars are Diana and White Chiffon.

Hibiscus moscheutos = Hardy Hibiscus
"Luna White" is a named cultivar.

There are a number of species in the genus Hibiscus. If you could post a picture here of your plant, I'm sure someone will be able to give you an ID.

Rosie

Here is a link that might be useful: Google results for

o

Marilyn,
Best bet can be the leaf pattern. Hib. Syriacus has leaves that look like the link below. If they do not look like this, you have eliminated one possibility.
Ed

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose of Sharon Leaves

o

Marilyn,
Best bet can be the leaf pattern. Hib. Syriacus has leaves that look like the link below. If they do not look like this, you have eliminated one possibility.
Ed

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose of Sharon Leaves

o

This is the hibiscus I was wondering about.

o

Marilyn,
This appears to be a very early hybrid called "White Wings" branching is not as compact as newer CV's, but it has many great attributes. The house in California my mom inherited when my Grandmother passed has a many decades old plant. It is exceeding 15 foot high at this time. I have a link below to the image my mother took last fall. Scroll down a bit to see this monster.
Ed

Here is a link that might be useful: White Wings Link

o

Thanks Ed for the site. There are a lot of beautiful colors of hibiscus.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here