Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wusswolf

Looking for Hardy Blue Hibiscus Plants in Canada

Wusswolf
12 years ago

I've searched the web and seem lost for finding any Hardy Blue Hibiscus plants for sale that ship to (or within) Canada. As someone who's stuck for traveling any sort of distance I was hoping to find something online. Last year I guess I got lucky and managed to get one off eBay for my mother - she's still looking for it in her beds to see if it made the winter.

I will finally be moving into my first house soon and was hoping to get one of these started in the front yard, since I adore blue flowers and small trees.

Any advice on where I could look would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone is rooting cuttings of their hardy blues, I'd be willing to pay for a few cuttings!

Thank you,

~Nicole

Comments (10)

• rosco_p
    12 years ago

Nicole: Are you looking for a blue Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus Syriacus?) or a perennial Hibiscus like Hibiscus Moscheutos or similar? I have a Rose of Sharon Blue Satin which I have seedlings that I could provide to you if you wish to send a SASBE? Let me know if interested.

• Wusswolf
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Rosco, Do you think the Rose of Sharon would survive the 5a zone? I admit I'm relatively new to all of this, but am completely interested!

• rosco_p
    12 years ago

Nicole: The Rose of Sharon is recommended for zones 5-9 so I can't see any problem with survival where you are. They produce so many seedling volunteers that if the original was to die you would have many replacements for it to choose from. I am in zone 6 and they do well here. Most winters they will even survive in pots on the patio.Ross.

• rosco_p
    12 years ago

Nicole: Forgot to include in my post above that if you wish to have some for SASBE you can contact me through e-mail for my mailing address.

• TulsaRose
    12 years ago

Nicole, have you considered growing Hibiscus moscheutos "Hardy Hibiscus" from seed? Very easy and if started now, they could be planted out in the fall or held over until early spring. I think American Meadows ships \ mails to Canada. Have you checked out their website?

Jump on Ross's kind offer to share seedlings for the Hibiscus syriacus, Rose of Sharon "Blue Satin" They are beautiful shrubs. :-)

Rosie

Here is a link that might be useful: Hibiscus Blue River II @ American Meadows

• Wusswolf
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Rosie,

Thank you for the sites and information. Now, correct me if I've learned wrong here; I had always read to avoid buying hibiscus seeds due to the fact that they never are true to the parent plant. Maybe it's just mis-information though.

I have jumped on Ross' very kind offer for now though :) Just going to have to wait for our postal strike to wind down.

Appreciate all the help and info!
    ~Nicole

• TulsaRose
    12 years ago

Nicole, a lot of hybrids won't come true from seeds gathered from that plant. However, the seeds being offered by reputable vendors such as American Meadows, are seeds for that particular cultivar. I really don't know how it works but it does. lol!

Good luck in your new home.

Rosie

• Wusswolf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm not sure if you still come to these forums, Rosco (it actually took me awhile to recall my user name and password after so long). I just wanted to share with you that of the seedlings that you sent me, after some drastic transplanting, I currently have 3 healthy little shrubs. And just this morning the very first two flowers opened! They're actually more pink than blue, but I'm simply so happy with them! Thank you so much!
    ~

• rosco_p
    11 years ago

Nicole; I am so glad to hear that you have had some measure of success with your Rose of Sharon.They are really, good solid plants to grow in any garden. I am sorry that what I sen't you didn't turn out to be very much in the BLUE range but as long as you are happy with them...that is all that matters. I have a few different colours in the garden and the seedlings are obviously a mixture of these colours. They are all colourful and since they have a long bloom period, they provide interest for quite some time. Thanks for the update. Happy Gardening. Ross.

• Gutzmek
    11 years ago

I have a few seeds from my "Blue Satin", and hopefully "Blue Bird" will flower next year. Let me know if you are still in need.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA