Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hindry

re-potted...won't bloom

hindry
11 years ago

i re-potted hibicus one size up form original container

they bloomed fine until i re-potted

the only thing that i did different was use miracle gro MOISURE control pottin soil

Comments (2)

• kwpgrooming
    11 years ago

Depending on how long it has been since you reported it, it may just need time. Make sure you fertilize regularly. They like lots of organic matter.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

Actually, organic matter is of little consequence for container grown hibs, as long as they're getting all the essential nutrients in a reasonably favorable ratio. You can grow perfectly healthy hibs in a bucket of broken glass, if you don't mind fertigating twice each day.

Lack of blooms & that 'poodle' look, where most of the growth is concentrated near branch ends (apices) is very often caused by root congestion, and putting up often doesn't do much to alleviate the stress associated with tight roots. For the long term, learning how to repot yearly in spring, which includes root pruning and a change of soil after bare-rooting, ensures your plant is restored to its growth potential within the limiting effects of other cultural factors, while potting up ensures your plant can never grow to its potential.

Al

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!