Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
techteach60068

Wilting Hibiscis

jillikins
18 years ago

My hibiscus came up this year. This is only it's second year, but it looked like it was coming in great. Now it is wilting. Can see no signs of insects. Watering is regular. It has not even been especially hot here the past 2 weeks.

Should I try the garbage bag idea?

Comments (6)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

Did you check around ground level to see if something other than bugs is chewing at the stem? Sometimes critters like moles or voles will tear through a plant's root system underground causing the plant to wilt and eventually die or rabbits can chew around the base and girdle the stem. In general, wilting indicates a problem at the roots and the plant's water distribution system - whether too much or too little water or something (disease, etc), or a break in stem that is keeping water from getting to the leaves.

• jillikins
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I think you are right - something is eating at the base of the stem. The whole thing cameoff this a.m. I am angry. I suspect a larger animal, as the fencing I use to keep my dog out, is bent! She can't get through the fence. Something chewed or broke the stem. Well the root system is in tact. Perhaps I can fix it for next year.

What should I do with only a few leaves showing?

Should I dig it up? Move it?

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

If you cut it off, the roots might sprout a new stem. If you think it is in a bad spot, you could try to move it while you can still see where it is. Who knows? You might be surprised and get something to show up this season.

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

I hae had this problem with my hibiscus, where one or stems wilt and they snap right off at the base. In my case, it was too much rain last year, and too much watering on my part this year. They always come back, or have. I live in the city, and have not seen any rabbits or moles or voles on my property. They leave tell-tale signs, so for me it was a cultural issue.

Susan

• jla21_sbcglobal_net
    12 years ago

I have had my hibiscus inside all winter at first its leaves were turning yellow and then it stopped and was looking really good, just as I was about to put it outside it looked really good in the front but in the back it had a few wilting leaves and I took it outside and it looks like it is wilting more. I know it is probably in shock of being moved outside, should I water it more or less, is it going to survive, what is causing it?

• liz62
    12 years ago

A friend brought me 3 Hibiscus plants, he said they were Rose of Sharon, I don't know if he had them in shade or sun when he dug them up. I will post a pic of the plant and maybe you can tell me what the problem is and how to fix it. They are wilting and it seems like nothing I do is working to fix them.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting