Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seventowers_gw

Anyone Else problems Sawfly w/ Hibiscus Mascheutos

seventowers
18 years ago

Hi, Last year the sawfly , mainly the larvea they leave behind in the leaf defoliated my hibiscus. I have seen them this year landing on my plants and have killed many and left them on the leaf for a deterant. I started seeing them as early as last 2 weeks of May .

Now that we are in June with the warmer wheather they are more abundant. I have been spraying with neem oil as well.

This year I am determined to have my plants intact with leaves. Last year they ate all the leaves despite my hand picking which was useless because everyday there were more.

The Sawfly seem to land all summer long on this type of hibiscus and hadpicking is futile!

Despite spraying neem oil they are still landing on my plants and if the larvea do show up I just hope neem oil will do them in .

Anyone else share their experience with this type of pest?

Any info would be appreciated.

Comments (3)

• wqcustom
    18 years ago

I also had these pests back in May. I sprayed my hibiscus with Sevin and they were gone the next day and haven't been back. Now the japanese beetles are coming, so they're next.

• cajungardener
    18 years ago

What do the sawfly look like, I have whith moth type flies. Are these the same thing.

Cajun

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Haven't experienced the sawfly yet. But, it's interesting, the last two years I found this unusual grasshopper, and always on my 'Texas Star'. He is very, very colorful, a bright bright green and black. Very distinctive looking. Of course, he's only distinctive looking for a short time before I blast him off the plant and stomp him to death!

Susan

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!