Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
morningluna

Hibiscus

morningluna
15 years ago

I bout this Hibiscus a couple of weeks ago. It had one bloom on it and was labeled Apricot Brandy Hibiscus. I lost the tag but remember that it said to plant in full sun, and had planting instructions for the ground.

I know nothing about them. I selfishly brought it home and plunked it in the ground following the instructions on the tag.

It had one bloom on it when I boguht it that was light peach in the middle and a darker peach on the outer edges. It exactly resembled the photo on the tag. It got one more bloom that same color and since, every bloom has been the color in the photo link.

I am happy with both colors, but....am I doing something wrong?

Also, I live in West Virginia, do I need to take it out of the ground when it starts getting cold and bring it inside? Or just cut it back and leave it there?

This is my second post at gardenweb. The first was about the same plant on another topic about color change I found through searching.

If I'm doing something wrong, please let me know :)

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (3)

• gansn
    15 years ago

Lovely! I don't know about the change in color, unless your Apricot brandy was grafted onto a different color base and the base is the color you have blooming now?

Were the other color bloom on the same branch or different?

You have bought a tropical hibiscus, not winter hardy in your area. It needs to come in before any frost.

Good luck with it.

• morningluna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you!
    The blooms were on different branches...Just yesterday one of the original blooms showed up, I'll have to get a pic of the next one..lol Maybe it was just adjusting, but I think it's fantastic I get two different flowers from one bush..lol I think it's a bush, isn't it?
    Thanks again for the info :) I will definitely bring her in for the winter!

• kitty747
    15 years ago

Take note of where the branch originates when it blooms, whether the branch is coming from above or below the graft. It's sort of cool to have two different blooms, but usually the one grafted is weaker than the graft stock, and you could eventually lose your grafted one. I had this happen with a rose bush. It was a pink bush, then one year there was this red bush blooming along with the pink one. It was very pretty as you can imagine, but it was sapping the strength from the pink, so was forced to cut the red one off at the base.

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Veteran Interior Designer Serving Clients in Upper Marlboro