Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highlandernorth

Why are all these hibiscus stems thin and falling over?

highlandernorth
10 years ago

I planted 2 of the perineal northern growing types of hibiscus that produce very large flowers and die back at years end, not the tropical bush type.

Anyway, I planted them for a customer about 6 years ago in the front yard where he gets unfettered sunlight all day, with very little breeze. They were of course potted when I bought the 2 and they only had like 3 or 4 stems at first and were maybe 3 feet tall.

But the next summer, they had gotten significantly larger with at least 10 stems per plant. The next summer after that, they each had about 25 stems, and they didn't just flower at the top of the main stems, they also grew lateral branches out from between each leaf level on the main stem, and each of those lateral stems grew LOTS of flowers as well.

The main stems were thick and healthy, 4 feet tall and they didn't begin to sag or fall over til they had produced all the lateral branches filled with flowers, then they had to be trellised somewhat. But by then, they had grown so wide and thick that they were crowding into the sidewalk and onto the driveway, so he had me dig them up all together. Those big plants didn't transplant well because their roots had to be cut because they grew out probably 5-6 feet outward and they were very thick so they died after transplanting.

But then new sprouts kept coming up from seeds these plants had dropped, so I dug up and transplanted a few of the little seedlings into different spots in these beds away from the walks. Last year they grew big and thick, with tons of flowers again, and had to be trellised due to the weight of all the lateral branches with flowers.

So this year, the new stems started growing up about a month ago but after they got up to just 2- 2.5 feet tall, they all started falling over! They didn't even have open leaves on them yet, and no flowers or even buds, yet they are falling right over! This is happening to all 3 of them and they are in 2 different beds, one in front and one on the right side.

I fertilized them with some Miracle grow just like before, only because we've had so much rain, I just sprinkled about 1/3 to 1/2 flat teaspoon of miracle grow powder around the base of each plant so as to not add even more moisture to the soil. This isn't an excessive amount of miracle grow for a fairly large outdoor plant either. Then we got LOTS more rain after that, literally about 10 inches in the past few weeks since! So if anything a lot of the fertilizer might have washed out.

Should I cut the stems back to the ground and hope for new ones to come
up, because they will not be able to hold flowers and laterals being thin like this?

Comments (2)

• Gutzmek
    10 years ago

HighlanderNorth,
    Sounds like you are experiencing a common issue with H. Moscheutos when they are young and missing some helpful sun. I have a few babies I am growing for the mother-in-law and since they are not receiving the correct sunlight, I have the same effect. Sounds like the constant rain may have robbed these plants of sunlight. You could prune them back. If you need cut back the stems and leave a few lower nodes at the base. The plant will quickly start new shoots from this. I can attach some photos from a few of mine that required this.
    Hope this helps,
    Ed

• greenthumb_5
    10 years ago

It could be lack of drainage to a point where the roots don't have oxygen and start to die and the plant dehaydrates given the conditions you have for several weeks as you said. But it could be that the soil nutrients are not right for the plant to continue normal functions. Also what is the name of the perennial hibiscus you have. Is it a texas star or otherwise. And you should leave the stems on and let it grow then next year, it should be straight and try to improve its conditions of the soil. But describe to me what the soil is like and how it reacts to water. But I have learned that thin growths are also related to lack of calcium so you can apply lime but a photo would be very helpful.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor