Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosethyme_gw

Hardy Hibiscus Houseplant?

rosethyme
12 years ago

I have a beautiful Blue River II Hardy Hibiscus growing in a large pot outside. Am wondering if they can be used as houseplants? I love it so much I am ordering another one as well as Blue Satin. I love white flowers in a moon garden and Blue River is so gorgeous with its pure white coloring and lovely foliage. I also have some reds but this white is the best!

Comments (11)

• TulsaRose
    12 years ago

You are talking about two different types of Hardy Hibiscus. I would think they would be extremely difficult to grow as house plants since they both require mostly full sun. I grow both and they get huge so I can't imagine either thriving indoors.

Hibiscus Blue River II is Hibiscus moscheutos

Blue Satin Rose of Sharon is Hibiscus syriacus

• rosethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Tulsarose....and thanks for your reply. I was thinking how beautiful it would be to have them as houseplants but, you are right, they wouldn't get enough sun. I see you are in Tulsa...so hot there as well as it is here in Texas. Do you have a problem with your hibiscus foliage wilting in the hot part of the day? My Blue River II is on the east side of the house but it still looks wilted in the summer afternoons. It perks back up though when it cools off in the evening.

• TulsaRose
    12 years ago

Howdy neighbor :-)

The weather in Tulsa has been horrendous for the past month. High temps \ very little rain so supplemental, deep watering has been necessary for the Hibiscus moscheutos a couple of days a week. It is a white\red-eye Disco Belle and the blooms are about 8" - 9" and just gorgeous. It was my mom's that I transplanted after she died in '99 so I tend to baby it. :-)

The Rose of Sharon shrubs just have to fend for themselves as I have over 20 all around the place. Luckily they are pretty tough. When it's so dry, they just shut down blooming until cooler weather.

Here's hoping the weather cools down soon for both of us. :-)

Rosie

• rosethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Rosie, sounds like you have quite a collection. Me too...I've mostly forgotten their names but I believe there is Luna Pink, Blush, and Rose. Copper King, too. But absolute favorite is the Blue River II. Plus I just got some seeds for the Texas Star white hibiscus....from a good ebay seller.

How nice that you were able to save Disco Belle in remembrance of your mom...makes it very special.

Try to keep cool...a long time til fall. :(

Karen

• TulsaRose
    12 years ago

Hey Karen...I'm sitting here, holding my breath as it has just begun to rain. With our luck, it will last about two minutes then blow on through to the east.

Funny you mentioned the Texas Star white hibiscus. I was just looking at pix of that online yesterday. Really pretty! Good luck with growing them from seed. I've had success with the Disco Belle from seeds. If I add anymore plants in the H. moscheutos species, it will be Kopper King. I've been wanting that one for a long time because of the foliage.

Have a safe holiday. I think I'll pack up Ms Dawg and head for the hills. We don't like fireworks! :-)

Rosie

P.S. I spent about two hours on this website yesterday. Tons of info and beautiful images.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hibiscus & Malvaceae

• rosethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey, Rosie, WOW, what a wonderful website. I really enjoyed it. Its just the thing for a new hibiscus addict like me. I want to collect them all. :) If you need seeds for Kopper King let me know. Mine is about to bloom and I would be happy to send you some. My dogs don't like the fireworks either...they need cotton or ear plugs in their ears, me too, lol.

Take care and hope you and Ms Dawg will be safe and happy on the holiday.

Karen

• TulsaRose
    12 years ago

Hey Karen...thanks so much for the offer of seeds for the Kopper King but I'll pass for now. I'm not real sure, but I don't think they "come true" from seed. Most references I've read say to propagate by division or soft-wood cuttings. My beds are so full now, I don't know where I could even squeese one in. But...that said...thank you for the kind offer.

That big, bad storm front that went through yesterday? It dumped a big, whompin' 0.20" of rain. lol! I guess that beats a sharp stick in the eye. At least it dropped the temp to 91� which felt reasonably cool after Monday's 104�.

Chow time...have a good one!

Rosie

• TulsaRose
    12 years ago

Sometimes I really dislike this website for not allowing edits to your posts. Of course, I should have caught the mistakes in the Preview! Squeese = Squeeze And the weird characters that showed up with the temps should have been a degree sign. Arggg!

• TulsaRose
    12 years ago

My "dislike" comments were made jokingly due to my stupid mistakes and they can't be corrected by going to your personal website.

I've been a member here for a number of years...even before iVillage took over and GardenWeb is my favorite gardening website! It's very popular. :-)

TuLsaRose

• rosethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good morning, Rosie. We all knew what you meant....no problem. :) As long as we get our thoughts across misspellings are to be overlooked...lol, I know I've done my share. But its all about the plants that we love to discuss.

I did order the Blue Satin hibiscus. Haven't learned yet about the different kinds other than there is a tropical and a hardy hibiscus.

Hope you have a nice weekend doing something fun. We plan to stay home as usual but will cook out for the holiday. I bought my furboys a kiddie swimming pool and they love to get in and cool off.

Take care,

Karen

• love2garden55
    12 years ago

I love the hardy hibiscus. It's beautiful colors sure are eye catching! I'll leave a link to a site that has a very nice variety and are good to work with!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardy Hibiscus Seller