Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chachacharlie

Buds falling - not blooming

chachacharlie
15 years ago

Hey about a week ago I bought a small red tropical hibiscus (I think it's tropical). Well, it's in a small pot, and had one beautiful red flower. The flower died the next day, fell off and since then there haven't been any more flowers. Two buds started to bloom and the red flower started to come out, but fell off!....This is an indoor Hibiscus which is getting tons of direct sunlight and what I think is appropriate amounts of water. Why does it take so long to produce more flowers? and why when the buds start to bloom they fall off way before the flower is even out... right now it's just another green plant! HELP!

Comments (3)

• gansn
    15 years ago

Can you move it outside? They like lots of heat and sun.

• kitty747
    15 years ago

Hidden Valley Hibiscus has an awful lot of information. I sat for over an hour just reading all sorts of things last night. I've never purchased any plants from them, but did get some of their fertilizer stuff that I just started using this week. From what I've read, two hours of sun a day is adequate for blooming, but I've never had much luck with them blooming indoors. They don't seem to have a huge lot of flowers, but when one does bloom, it's a sight to behold and I feel it's worth the wait. It's sort of like waiting for the Night Blooming Cereus to bloom, then staying up into the night to take it all in. There are some tropical hibiscus, however, whose blooms last a couple of days. My Jamie LaBelle actually lasts about three days.

{{gwi:888870}}

• mandi_s1
    15 years ago

I would check the buds that fell off for holes. I was having a similar problem earlier in the seasons, and when I checked the bud, there were small holes about the diameter of a pin head. Inside those holes were ugly green worms. (It was actually a very nice shade of bright green, but anything eating my flowers counts as ugly to me for the most part)

I smushed the ones I found, but it seems to be a seasonal thing. A few weeks later, they are gone. Hopefully to stay gone for the rest of the season.