Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul__gw

Hib. Maple Sugar

paul_
14 years ago

Hi all,

I saw some of these in a nursery and was tempted to pick on up (despite having little to no room to speak of ... what can I say?... I'm weak) I understand it is a reluctant bloomer and so is grown mainly for the foliage (a beautiful deep burgundy). I was wondering what experience with this one others may have had. Is it a fast grower? Durable plant or prima donna? Does it keep its color well?

Comment (1)

• plants77
    14 years ago

I assume we are talking about hibiscus acetosella. Dark red, maple like, leaves? I had one several yers ago. It was a fast grower for me in Texas. So fast that when fall came it was a huge pain to move inside when a cold front came in.

It's durable in the sense it can tolerate lots of heat and sunshine, it needs water however, and is very frost tender even here in zone 8b. You'll need a heated greenhouse to see it flower in Michigan I think. It's a reluctant bloomer in the sense it does it late in the year. Mine made flowers around Halloween, after I brought it inside and underneath a HID lamp, and that was after a very long Texas growing season.

It's worth growing just for foliage though. And it roots so easily you can just take a few cuttings in fall, protect those inside, and plant those outside next spring after danger of frost has passed.