Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annmarie62_gw

How do I get rid of beetles eating my flowers?

annmarie62
18 years ago

I bought two weeks ago,a White Kalakalua, it is my first experience w/ hibiscus, planted in a large pot. It has been flowering non-stop, the first Flower was absolutely beautiful . . . since then I have noticed that the 2nd and 3rd flowers opened but had holes in the petals, now the 4th & 5th flowers have just opened and more holes and the beetles are there. I flick them off manually and step on them, but some of them stick to the flower and won't come off, I actually ripped a petal off the flower and crushed the little bugger. What should I use, what is the best? I read about Merit, Sevin on this site for roses, a book said to use Permethrin or Diazinon, are they any good?

Please help.

I also bought at the same time The Path, which has done nothing and I think is dead. My husband keeps telling me it is dead, I wanted to bring it back to the store last weekend but he gave it some plant food and it perked up, but when I looked at it the other day -- the buds are the same as when I bought it and the new ones are turning black, and the larger ones that never opened look almost frozen! I'm going to try to return it, they were not cheap and I'm not happy about this. I spent a lot of money that day on many many different plants!

All advice welcome,

Comment (1)

• gurley157fs
    18 years ago

I use a systemic insecticide by Bayer, avail in Lowes, Home Depot, Wal Mart etc.

Sponsored