Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vera_eastern_wa

How soon to pot up Disco Bell Seedlings?

vera_eastern_wa
15 years ago

I hope someone can help out?

I wintersowed 1 batch and got several seedlings. I potted all up in to 4" pots but lost every one of them over the next few days. I normally pot up or plant out most of my wintersown seedlings in the seed leaf thru 1st-2nd true leaf stages depending on size of seedlings; the Hibiscus were only in the seed-leaf stage. Apparently it doesn't work to pot the Hibiscus up so young.

The 2nd batch were sown individually into 4" pots on May 6th and are in the 2nd true-leaf stage. If they are still too small for potting up then how long can they stay in 4" pots?

Thanks,

Vera

Comments (2)

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I can't comment enough on how helpful this forum is....yeah right.

• gansn
    15 years ago

I try to leave my seedlings undisturbed for several months, until they have a couple of sets of leaves. One of the nursery men I know says they should be left until you can lift the plant and whole soil ball as one...

I try to plant my seeds in 1 gallon pots, that way I can leave them on my porch for their first winter. The weaker plants die during the winter and the 2nd year plants are much hardier and transplant into the garden with less stress.

You gotta remember, we're all just folks..I work 2 jobs, garden for myself and my mom,, helped my daughter move this month, took a Braille certification test..... We get back to the forums when we can. Try to play nice with us.