Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poohbearlvr

Hibiscus Schizopetalus...where??????

PoohBearLvr
18 years ago

Thanks for telling me what hibiscus I am looking for. Now..where can I buy these types of hibiscus???? Any online places or places in Ft.Laud. Fla.?

Comments (6)

• Oliver_Shagnasty
    18 years ago

Try http://www.exotichibiscus.com/blooms.cfm They have them listed.

Oliver

• beachbarbie
    18 years ago

I got both my H. schizopetalus, and other hibiscus, from Exotic Hibiscus - the plants are healthy and they're great people to buy from.
    Barb

• ttowner50
    17 years ago

I have a h schizopetalus and would like to know how to get it to bloom. I have to pot it up and keep it in the house during the winter and then put it in the garden in the growing season. It has grown real well this year. It is 2 years old and 4ft tall. I got a 400w MH light I am going to use this winter maybe that will help. Any ideas?

• beachbarbie
    17 years ago

Ttowner50,
    They do tend to be heavy feeders, so I'd up the fertilizer if you don't have blooms yet.
    Are you keeping it in the pot when it's outside? If you don't, I'm wondering if it's putting all its energy into getting it's roots settled in the ground each spring instead of towards blooming.
    Barb

• sandysseeds007
    17 years ago

Drop the Nitrogen content on the fertilizer you are using.
    Look for a lower number, say 7 or 10 this helps with hardy hibiscus to flower as well. Nitrogen helps initially with the foliage formation, but misdirects the energy the plant can use for flowering when it's at a flowering stage.
    I know there are a few other idea's to help blooming along but you'll have to search the forums for that. Just received some seeds for this plant and your the 1st who mentioned anything about when it will bloom, as lots of plants will take 2-3 years and longer to bloom. Going to search the forum and see what I can find out about this plants particulars. Good Luck-Sandy

• sandysseeds007
    17 years ago

You definately need to read the last paragraph. It's regarding pruning to encourage flowering.

The many names of (Hibiscus schizopetalus) Japanese Hibiscus, Coral Hibiscus, Skeleton Hibiscus.Chinese Lanterns, Japanese Lanterns, Fringed Rosemallow, Waltzing Ladies

The following is some data I just gathered off of the internet here and there, which explains the contradiction in how high this plant will grow. Just copying and pasteing anything relavent to Window's Notepad.

6' to 10' prefers partial shade or partial sun to full sun; soil should be moist Z 9B - 11 Grows rapidly and blooms freely. Bearing finely dissected petals on three-inch-wide pendulous flowers, this slender evergreen shrub can grow up to ten feet tall. Flowers are pink or red or orange with long slender staminal columns that extend well beyond the petals. A weeping tree hibiscus, rare and hard to find. Flowers look like parachutes and can be recognized by the fringed and lacy petals which are bent backward. It has slender and gracefully curved stems. It will reach about 6 to 8 feet with a spread of 5 to 6 feet. It is a very fast grower.

It gets very large in pots, so one needs to prune it often to keep a desired form.

***Pruning also helps to keep a abundance of flowers, since flower are formed on new wood. Blooms sporadically all year long.

Happy Gardening - Sandy

Sponsored