Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinkdenial

Can I revive my seemingly dead Rose of Sharon?

pinkdenial
14 years ago

I'm posting this here because I was told that Rose of Sharon is a hibiscus. I apologize in advance if I misposted.

I have a Rose of Sharon shrub that has grown and bloomed beautifully for the past two years in partial shade. It was a little stick when I got it, but now it's nearly four feet tall. In late April, I noticed tiny leaves started to grow. Then they stopped. It's almost July, and the tiny leaves are still there, but nothing else has happened. If I scrape the bark on the trunk, I see green, but not a bright green.

I live in Zone 5 (Illinois). This past winter was kind of crazy. My area had at least one, maybe two, severe ice storms, followed by very mild weather, followed by snow. The part of my property that was most affected by the ice and melting is right where my Rose of Sharon grows, next to the garage.

This plant was the first thing we planted at our first house, and I really want to save it. Should I fertilize it? Move it to a sunnier location? Move it into a very large pot?

Comments (2)

• jean001
    14 years ago

Leave it be. If the tiny leaves are green and flexible, it's still alive.

Fertilizing a stressed woody sounds like it should help. But it forces new leave to grow but as sit does to, it uses up the plant's reserves that it needs to recover from the stress.

If the problem is due to winter stress, the plant may or may not recover. Only time will tell.

• wally_1936
    14 years ago

I sure hope you have been saving seeds. Start more plants they can sprout on their own if the seed reach the ground.

Sponsored