Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yellowthumb

Will Hibiscus bring whitefly indoors?

yellowthumb
13 years ago

Hi everybody,

This is the first time I posted on this forum.

I always wanted a tropical hibiscus, but I am so afraid of the dreaded whiteflies. They are almost impossible to get rid of. I have many other tropical plants at home, every winter, I have to fight the spider mites and scales, but they are easier compared to the whiteflies.

My question is: Will hibiscus bring whiteflies? Even if there is no whiteflies on the plants in the first place? I am going to put the hibiscus outdoors and then bring them indoor in the fall.

Thanks for all your input.

YT

Comments (2)

• jroot
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This has been a strange year for white fly. I have not noticed it before, but this year OUTSIDE, there are clouds of them coming from the cedar bush. Of course, this WILL affect my 14 tropical hibiscus plants which are outdoors, but I will definitely spray, wash, spray, wash, and spray again before bringing them indoors in the fall.

Hopefully someone else will respond, as I too, am concerned.

• ladyharley
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yes the white flies will come in the house with the plant. You can get that yellow sticky pads from Walmart or a plant store and stick it in the dirt and it will attract them. Walmart also has a house and garden spray that will kill them.

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner