Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buddy_zzz

something is eating my hibiscus

buddy_zzz
14 years ago

something has eaten almost all of the leaves and growth tips of several 3ft + hibiscus plants. I havent seen any bugs except an occasional ant. i have even got up in the middle of the night a few times to see if i could see what it might be, but i see nothing at all i have a bottle of neem oil,is it safe to use on hibiscus? any ideas anyone?thanx.

Comments (3)

• jean001
    14 years ago

You shouldn't spray until you know what you're shooting at.

Then, too, only a few damaged leaves should be ignored.

So how many leaves are affected?

• User
    14 years ago

Do you have deer?? The deer tend to ignore 99% of my tropical plants that go out for the growing season. But hibiscus frequently appears on lists of plants that deer love to eat. I only learned this after they ate my plants (flowers, leaves, stems,..)

• gardeniarose
    14 years ago

buddyzzz,
    Are the leaves turning yellow and dropping all along the entire length of stems and then the stems also turn yellow? This is what's happening to one of my hibiscus and now whatever it is seems to have spread to a nearby hibiscus. The whole stem drops its leaves and eventually turns yellow. Then it spreads to another stem on same plant. I think it must be bacterial, fungal or viral. I'll see if I can post a picture on here somewhere.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting