Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fleur_gw

Containers size for Luna hibiscuses?

Fleur
15 years ago

I recently bought 3 Luna hibiscuses. They are about 8" tall. I'd like to plant them in nursery pots so I can place them in a sunny spot now and overwinter them later. Has anyone an opinion on what size pot I should use? 2-,3-,5-gallon nursery pot?

I'd also like information on if I can add anything to the commercial potting mix I plan to use. I have manure, compost and small bark. Thanks

Comments (4)

• gansn
    15 years ago

I've grown hibiscus from seed and Usually for the first year they do well in 1 gallon pots. But you are in the next lower zone, so you may want to use a 2 gallon to give them room to grow. They grow well in pots. I'm sure that adding compost to the mix would be fine. Manure too, if it is well rotted.

• Fleur
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for that information. I potted them all in 2-gal containers. I planted another dozen or so in an out of the way place in the garden. I'll hope to dig them next spring, pot them up and give them to a plant sale. I hope those in the ground live over and be ready to grow.

• gansn
    15 years ago

I planted for my garden club plant sale in April, but hibiscus don't leaf out until May. I couldn't take them to the sale because they looked dead. I had potted up a dozen, and I lost 4 over the winter.

• Fleur
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I wonder if I dig them early in the spring, pot them up and put them in a greenhouse if they'll leaf out some before our June plant sale. Or perhaps I should pot thm up in the fall and let them overwinter in the greenhouse and hope they leaf out by June. I just discovered that one I thought was dead is just starting to grow now...June 12.

Sponsored